I really don’t want to become one of those people who constantly complains about English weather, but here I am. In the past week, Mummy Nature decided to take a few steps backwards and give us some hail, thunder, rain, and wind. Sometimes a combination of all of the above. Mostly just wind, and a little rain.
It’s not the wetness or coldness that bothers me, really. It’s that we were promised spring, and all of its companions: barbecues, sandals, skirts, sunglasses. I was even getting ready to switch from hot drinks to iced. And now it’s been yanked away from me, and I feel justified in whining about it.
But just a little bit. Because at 1:10 AM on Saturday morning, I’m boarding a bus from Headington (is Starbucks open at 1 AM?) to Stanstead, then killing a few hours (maybe finishing my freelance work, at the last minute as always?), then taking a delightfully short flight to Nuremberg. 10 days in Germany, 10 days without partner programme phone calls, 10 days without vacuuming cat hair and doing dishes and drinking too much coffee (just kidding, I’ll still do that last one). Again, I don’t mind dishes, cat hair, sales calls, but we all need a break once in a while.
So I should probably think of 10 things to do in my 10 days. Here’s a rough draft:
1. Stock up on household products/tea tree oil at DM.
2. Bratwurst, brezen, Milka schokolade, lachs, pfannkuchen, semmelknoedel, all-you-can-eat sushi in the basement of a department store (Woehrl), schnitzel, gelbwurst. Sorry vegetarian friends!
3. Find the neighborhood stray, Blackie.
4. Get a haircut at Kaufland, the grocery store. Yep.
5. Stare at old family photographs, marveling that at one time, I was little. And so was my mom. My mom was a baby at one point. Why does this seem so bizarre to me– that our parents had lives before us?
6. Coffee Fellows
7. Schloss Neu Schwhatever-it’s-called.
8. Childhood friends!
9. Spend time with family (okay, before you yell at my, this list is not organized by priority).
10. Run with John along the Alter Kanal (for that matter, also: not run with John, be next to John and sigh with first-crush-like bliss that I’m going to marry my best friend in a few months, etc.)